- WGN Video - October15, 2011
- ABC Article - October 15, 2011
- Chicago Tribune Article- October 15, 2011
- Daily Herald Article - October 15, 2011
- Sun Times Article - October15, 2011
- Chicago Tribune Article - August 24, 2011
- Chicago Tribune Article - August 25, 2011
- Daily Herald Article - August 25, 2011
- Journal & Topics Article - August 24, 2011
- Trib Local
- CBS Chicago - WBBM Article and Radio Clip - August 24, 2011
- Senator Dan Kotowski Website - August 24, 2011
On Friday, October 22, 2010, The Journal and Topics newspaper featured an article,
Parks Approached On Memorial For Flight 191.
The Journal & Topics Newspaper reports
that a memorial to honor the 273 passengers of American Airlines flight 191 who
died when the jet airplane crashed in a vacant field in Elk Grove Township on
May 25, 1979, might be erected at Lake Park in Des Plaines.
Decatur Classical 6th Graders were featured on CBS News on May 24, 2010 on
a segment called, "Kids Reach Out to Get Flight 191 Memorial Built."
Help us reach our goal of 10,000 signatures!
American Airlines FLIGHT 191 Memorial - The Petition Site
What is Project Citizen?
We are sixth grade students at Decatur Classical school. We are part of Project Citizen. Project Citizen is a curricular program for middle, secondary, and post-secondary students, youth organizations, and adult groups that promotes competent and responsible participation in local and state government. The program helps participants learn how to monitor and influence public policy. In the process, they develop support for democratic values and principles, tolerance, and feelings of political efficacy.
273 Lost, 191 Forgotten
We chose Flight 191 as our project, because as a result of the horrific crash, certain
laws were passed on Airlines paying for memorials, but nothing has been done for
Flight 191! This is deeply important to the Decatur Community, as our own assistant
principal, Mrs. Jockl, lost her parents in the crash. Please help us in this learning
experience and the struggle to get a memorial for this forgotten flight. Visit our
website to learn more about Flight 191 and our involvement.