Welcome back Decatur students and families!
My name is John Murray, and this is my eighth year as the school counselor at Decatur Classical! As a school counselor, I look forward to helping students develop skills such as self awareness, self management, social awareness, relationship skills, and responsible decision making.
My Role as Your Child’s School Counselor Is:
- To be an advocate for your child and work collaboratively with parents, students, teachers, administrators, and our community.
- Assist students with their academic, personal, and social-emotional growth.
The School Counselor can help with:
- Assist students with educational, personal, and social emotional growth.
- Collaboratively develop interventions through the MTSS process based on student's strengths and needs.
- Help students understand themselves and others.
- Assist students in identifying and dealing with problems using a restorative practice approach.
- Provide crisis intervention when necessary.
- Coordinate referrals to school and community support services.
- Serve as a resource to students, parents, teachers, and administrators.
Some Reasons you may contact the school counselor:
- School adjustment issues
- Coping, problem-solving, decision making concerns
- Organization, study, and executive functioning skills
- Peer relationships and conflict resolution problems
- Family changes
- Experiencing loss, death, or grief
- School-based and community resources information or referrals
You may contact me anytime through email at [email protected].
Decatur Classical School Counselor