Important Update About Remote Learning
Dear JMS Parents,
We hope you and your family are doing well and staying healthy during this time. We appreciate very much the feedback you have given us via email and the parent survey we sent out last week. We also really appreciate your kindness, grace and support in this difficult time. Thank you to all parents and students for all your hard work the last three weeks!
Chicago Public Schools has recently announced that Remote Learning will begin on Monday, April 13th after the scheduled spring break. Decatur has had a plan in place for three weeks and many things will remain the same.
● During school closure the primary form of communication remains email. Therefore, questions related to your child's learning, assignments, etc. should be directed to their homeroom teacher.
● Phones are not being answered at Decatur during the school closure. If you have other questions about school affairs, please contact Ms. Beard via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
● Parents and students will get a weekly plan for learning every Monday (Families will still have flexibility in the assignment schedule and can make it work for your family).
● Teachers will continue to:
○ plan lessons that continue learning for Decatur students.
○ post weekly instructional videos in Google Classroom.
○ provide feedback to students and be available to answer questions to both students and parents
○ Students will continue to work on their assignments and focus on priority tasks
● At this time we will still not be taking grades, but we encourage you to keep up with your child’s learning through weekly assignments to keep them on track.
We understand, as we are in the midst ourselves, the complexity of establishing new routines, juggling taking care of kids or other loved ones while still remaining productive for our places of employment. It is hard and it is new. It is with these obstacles in mind that we share with you some adjustments we are making to help all of us (students, parents and teachers) manage our responsibilities. Here are a few things that will change after spring break with Remote Learning:
● Teachers will be meeting and working with students via Google Meet (a video conferencing app). This will be an important time for your student to learn and connect with their teachers.
● These meetings will be scheduled each week, with flexible small groups, for 30-40 minutes. These meetings will be followed up by 30 minutes of ‘office hours’ where teachers will be available to answer questions, check-in with students, or address any other questions.
● The 4th-6th grade teachers will be scheduling meetings with:
○ 4th grade - Rm. 110 on Wednesdays from 9-10 am
○ 4th grade - Rm. 112 on Wednesdays from 10-11 am
○ 5th grade on Tuesdays from 9-10 am
○ 6th grade - Rm. 107 on Thursdays from 9-10 am
○ 6th grade - Rm. 109 on Thursdays from 10-11 am
● Invitations to Google Meet video conferences will be sent via email. Students will click on the link in the email at least 10 minutes before their start time to be taken to the scheduled video conference.
○ For more information on this topic, please review the JMS Video Conferencing Expectations
● Teachers will also have additional regular weekly office hours (in addition to their conference time) where they will be available to answer questions, check-in with students, or address any other questions.
● At this time we will not grade assignments, however, parents and students will receive a weekly outlook document. This document will have suggested pacing and highlight priority tasks on a daily basis for students.
Parents and students will receive more information on weekly assignments and conferencing times on Monday, April 13. Until then, we appreciate your help in making remote learning a success and wish you and your family a great spring break!
Decatur Jr. Middle School Team